The thought of getting through the queues & checks at Airport Security can be a daunting. Particularly, for novices & families with young kids. So here are 10 tips to get you through:
1. Arrive around 3 hours before your flight, if you can. If you have bags to go into the hold, aim to arrive 3 hours earlier. That hopefully will give you enough time for an unexpected nappy change or toilet run. It is also allows a window in case you get stuck in a jam on the way to the airport. It can happen. In fact the Security queues themselves have caused people to miss their flights. So get through Security as soon as you can, after you’ve checked in & head to the Departures Area.
2. Pack your hand luggage wisely. Make sure that any liquids, creams, lip-balms fit into a clear resealable bag and are no more than 20cm x 20cm. You can pick these up cheaply from Poundland & pack the bag at home. This saves time at the airport & some airports charge for these tiny bags. Any extra Poundland bags can be used for snacks for the journey & whilst on holiday. Make sure that your liquids all fit in the bag & that they are all less than 100 ml. Important Note: Not all countries have the same policies. If you’re travelling to Kenya, it is against the law to bring in plastic bags. So take your liquids & creams out of the bags before entering Kenya.
3. Make sure this clear little bag is at the top of the hand luggage, so you can quickly whip it out, for the trays that go through the security scanners.
4. Make sure laptops,tablets & phones are charged, turned off & ready for checking. Important Note: Some airports do not allow you to go through with power banks. They will confiscate them from you at the airport.
5. If you have got water bottles, make sure they are empty before you go head to Security. Many airports in the UK do have water fountains, so you can fill up after security.
TOP TIP > The ion8 bottles are great for travelling with. They’re leak proof, well built & easy to clean. We always travel with our ion8 bottles. It’s available in a while host of colours & different sizes too. Find one in a colour you like here>
6. Wear the right clothing. Try to wear clothes without lots of zips or bulk. Remember to empty your pockets. Take your watch off and put somewhere securely. Easy to remove shoes, especially for the kids, is a real must. Coats will have to be taken off & popped on the trays. TOP TIP > “Bum Bags” seem to have come back into fashion ! They can make for a practical way to get around budget airlines hand luggage restrictions.
7. Pack some easy to reach snacks with you. A few bread-sticks or a pack of raisins to keep the kids busy in the queues.
8. Take an easy to fold pushchair & empty it out. Policies really vary on this from airport to airport. Some require them through the x-ray machines, some through the scanners & some do a sweep down.
9. Have one adult go through first, so they can pick up the bags at the other end of the scanners, especially the bag containing your passports & boarding passes.
10. Expect this process to be frustrating & long-winded, so you are mentally prepared for it.
Do read the latest guidance, so you don’t waste your time or other passengers’ time, through the Security process:
Latest Guidance from UK Government for Hand Luggage
Guidance on Baby Milk & Baby Food
Have you joined our dedicated Facebook Group, the Family Holidays Club ? Join now OR sign up for our weekly updates via email below.